Thursday, August 01, 2002

English is messed up...but in a good way

It's a rambling kind of day so I'm gonna ramble. Weird word, "ramble." Say it a few times and it starts to sound funny. Like I've always thought "pants" does. No, I haven't been drinking and I'm not on crack. Just say it. Really stretch the "a"... and make it a little whiny. You'll see what I mean. My sister always used to laugh when people said "panties"...I dunno why. It's gotta be the whiny over-enunciated vowels. And the inevitable blush that came along with talking about underwear. *shrug* That kid laughs at everything, though. And loud. In the middle of movie theaters. With everyone turned around staring at us and shushing. She told me the other day she was scared she'd hurt herself if she tried to stop laughing mid-guffaw. Like, maybe she would rupture her spleen or the pressure on her head would pop an eye out or something. The worst part is that it's even more contagious than normal laughter. Most of the time I'm in tears because I'm laughing at her laugh so hard I can't breathe. She thinks that's funny. I think it's mean. I should tape her laughing for an extended period of time and play it back to her while she's sleeping. I bet she wouldn't think it was so funny then...

No comments: