Friday, February 25, 2005

Don't Change A Thing...For Me

We're going to Seattle tomorrow to check out and possibly buy furniture at IKEA. In trying to figure out the best way to get up there and have room in whatever vehicle we take to bring stuff back, Matt found out that one can rent cars from dealerships. He's been wanting a Toyota Matrix and thought it would be fun to drive one to Seattle. So he looked online and found out that the Toyota dealer in Beaverton does in fact rent them and it wouldn't be that expensive. I'd never heard of dealerships renting vehicles so I was curious about how it worked and asked Matt for the details. He said me asking him how it worked made him feel like I thought he was an idiot and didn't know what he was talking about. I don't get it...Am I missing something? Asking questions has always in my mind been indicative of not knowing what was going on and wanting to be educated...so why would I ask an idiot? It boggles my mind the things that come out of that guy's mouth sometimes.

Later, at the grocery store, we got into it about the jam I chose and how much high fructose corn syrup it has in it and why I should get a different jam. He actually said that I might as well take up smoking as it was about as bad for me as the corn syrup in my jam. Oh. My. God. I'd be happy to give up some of the junk I eat but we were talking about jam. JAM! I checked my e-mail today and found he'd sent me links to 4 different webpages with information about how bad high fructose corn syrup is and a note about how he has a hard time staying away from sweets and has diabetes in his family so he wants to avoid them as much as possible and how much easier it would be for him if I was doing the same thing. I can see that but, since I'm always the one who wants salad and fruit and veggies and drinks a ton of water, I feel like I'm already behaving myself for the most part. Considering my previous eating habits and how much weight I lost by changing how I eat a few years ago, I actually think I'm doing pretty good if I only indulge in jam or have a soda with my lunch once a week or whatever.

I'm not the sort of girl who smiles and says "Yes, dear." to everything so I asked him last night to let this one go...he'd mentioned awhile back something about picking your battles and I wholeheartedly agree. I don't have the energy to argue about this one.

No comments: