Monday, March 08, 2004

What Price For Clean Clothes?

Went to do laundry up the street with my roommate yesterday and while the washers were running, we decided to walk down to Fred Meyer to pick up dryer sheets and a new laundry bag. When we got back, all of our stuff was done except one load of my clothes....which was still running the pre-wash cycle and hadn't made any progress at all. This place has both top loading and front loading washers and I had enough laundry to need four machines, so I used two of each. The front loading machines require that you lock your clothes in before it will start. Needless to say, once you start the load, you can't unlock the door without a key. So, basically, the machine was holding my clothes hostage and giving them the old water torture treatment. My Superman pajamas were not happy. About 1/2 hour after I called the guy who runs the place, he showed up and couldn't seem to get the door to open....didn't have the right key or something. D'oh. Finally, he took the whole front panel off and disengaged the door with a screwdriver. I moved my soaked clothes to a top loading (and non-locking) washer and he gave me my $1.25 back to run the other machine. When I went to move the clothes around to the other side of the room where the top loaders were, he asked if I just wanted to move the clothes into the front loader next to the one he took apart. Yeah, right. No way, dude. Your machines have tortured my clothes enough, thankyouverymuch. Top loading washers only from now on. I can't wait until they put a washer and dryer into our building.

Heading out to see Luke's new house and do the baby shower thing tonight. Not sure how I'm getting there yet, but it'll be nice to see everyone outside of the usual hangout. Also, I'm back to work today after a five day hiatus. I've realized in the last few days how much I like waking up when I'm done sleeping as opposed to waking up to an alarm. Other than that, the day is going well and I was apparently missed here. When I got in this morning, my bosses both bowed down before me and did the whole thank-god-you're-back thing. Cracked me up but made me feel pretty good... I didn't want to bring it up this morning, but when I'm gone for two weeks in September, they're gonna hate it. Ha.

No comments: