Monday, January 14, 2002

Do you ever get that not-so-fresh feeling?

Spent the weekend taking internal inventory and found that something was missing. Lessee what's on the checklist: family (check), job (check), domicile (check), friends (1/2 a check), mental well being (this box remains check-free). So, after a 3 hour walk in the wee hours Saturday night, I stumbled across what might be the answer. I was by myself and having a really good time watching people - Saturday night, college town, school's in, bars are open and hopping - and I decided to cruise through Broadway and check it out before it's reopened to traffic. The restaurants had all locked up for the night and the random pair of girls on their way to a club or group of guys on their way to find the girls were few and far between. Since I had the street pretty much to myself, I was stopping and looking in windows of new shops and art collectives and happened by a door with a sign that said: "We're sorry but no one has volunteered to tutor at this time. Please try back later." A phone number was underneath and the sign on the building informed me that I was outside the Literacy Advocates of Lane County office. For some reason, that sign on the door made me incredibly sad. Something clicked in my head and I realized I could easily give about 10 hours a week to this group and I'd be helping people experience the world of knowledge that comes with being able to read. Reading is something I love to do more than anything - I take it for granted now (started reading at about 3 years old) but can't imagine what life would be like if I didn't have that ability. So, I called today and signed up for the tutor orientation. And I can see that mental well being box with a checkmark in it any day now....

No comments: