Friday, January 25, 2002

Donating my brain to science

There was an article from the NY Times posted on another blog I'm involved in and after reading it, I decided to sign on for the science project. The jist of the study is to investigate the six degrees of separation theory by having random people sign up to be targets and random people sign up to "find" them by forwarding an e-mail from the web site to a friend who then forwards it to one of their friends and so on until it gets to the target. The e-mails are tracked at the web site and the only rules are that 1.) you can only send the e-mail to one person and 2.) you can't cheat by looking the target up on the internet and sending the e-mail directly to them. I signed up and got a target in Bali, Indonesia....wild. So, being the first link, I had to really dig through the mental rolodex to come up with a good next link to send to - I didn't want to just pass it on to the first person who popped into my head - I wanted to send it to someone who I really though could get the e-mail closer to the target and who has a broad base of contacts. So off the e-mail went to Chris, who's got a website with members all over the world and who I knew would be interested in helping the cause. And so the game begins.....

No comments: