Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Just When I Thought It Was Safe To Go To The Karaoke Bar...

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but, I'm really good at getting minorly hurt in ridiculous ways. Nothing requiring stitches or a run to the ER or anything...just really painful stuff at the time that seems silly in retrospect and heals up within about two weeks. Like the time I caught my heel on the carpeted front stairs in my building and fell forward down six steps into the foyer while my neighbor looked on in horror. Or the time I was playing softball a few summers ago when got blinded by the sun and caught a ball right in the mouth (which was a bloody mess but surprizingly didn't need stitches and my lip healed up quite nicely on it's own). Or that time on my birthday when I smashed my finger in the front door of my building while trying not to let it slam shut about 1/2 hour before I was supposed to go to my birthday party. Yeah, that was cool.

Last night, I was at the BR with Shauna and Jason. We were pretty much the only people there for awhile and the first time I got up to sing, I couldn't get the mic stand unscrewed to adjust it to the right height. I turned to Brad and said something like, "Dude, this thing is broken or something..."... at which point, I let go of the top section and grabbed onto the bottom section right as the whole thing loosened and the top section dropped into the bottom section, thereby pinching the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and first finger between the very top of the stand and the part you twist to keep the stand at the right height. Sonofa.... Thankfully, I was drinking for awhile before this all happened and Yukon Jack is a great pain reliever. Today, it's purple and a little swollen and hurts a little when I move my thumb. Lame.

Karaoke...It's all fun and games until someone pinches their hand in the mic stand.

No comments: