Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Give Me 5 Minutes And I'll Probably Change My Mind

I'm tired of meeting new people. Truly. I meet new people all day long and it's draining. I never though I'd say that, but today, right this minute, I want to be done meeting people. I know I'm not and never will be done but if some psychic could tell me how many more people I have to meet before I die, I could at least have that to look forward to. I hope that the next person I meet will be interesting or funny or....something worth paying attention to but, more often than not, that's not the case. I've decided hopefulness is a burden, a weight that I carry around by choice of course, but a weight nonetheless. And I'm pretty tired of carrying it because it makes the sting of disappointment that much more real. This is not to say that people in and of themselves are disappointing - on the contrary, people are interesting creatures and entertaining to watch. The disappointment is purely subjective and stems from a kind of hope that can at times be blinding. I really need to work on not caring.

No comments: