Wednesday, May 07, 2003

I'd Like To Thank The Academy...

Today, my company had it's regional quarterly brunch - 2 hours of food and games designed to encourage interaction between the various area properties' staffs and recognize the outstanding staff members with a mock awards ceremony. I would like the record to show that I already had a speech prepared thanking the Academy and all the little people (and by little I do mean short) who helped me get to where I am today, but I didn't win squat. I wasn't an outstanding achiever in any category nor was I selected to participate in the Who's Line Is it-a-thon that preceded the awards distribution. Am I complaining? Not a chance. Know why? A resident brought me a miniature rose plant the other day to thank me for going above and beyond for them while they were on vacation. Yesterday, a resident was annoyed enough that someone had been rude to me that he offered to call me right before I went home to tell me how wonderful and appreciated I am. My co-workers all signed a card the other week for me to let me know how much they appreciate everything I do for them each day. Did I need to be acknowledged in front of the entire regional staff? Nope. I know I'm appreciated. That's better than any goofy award.

No comments: