Thursday, February 21, 2002

Nuts and Flakes

So, I was going to go out to dinner tonight, but the "guest of honor" opted to be a flake and the rest of the plan broke down from there. I have issues with flaky people due to the abundance of flakage I've endured in the past. I don't see why it's so hard to make a plan and stick to it (barring some freakish disaster or sudden illness), but there are many, many people who have difficulty with this concept. And the real problem with flakes is not what they do, but what they say they're going to do and then don't do. To put it a slightly more harsh way, flakes are liars. And there's nothing that chaps my hide more than a liar. They can say that changing your mind isn't the same as lying, and I agree with that since changing your mind is something all of us do. But, saying you'll call me or meet somewhere and then not calling or showing up makes you a liar. Period. It's the lack of communication about the thing that pushes it from just changing your mind to flat out lying. Argue about it all you want, but my mind is made up on this one and I'm not budging. If nothing else, people need to stop committing to things they aren't sure they'll be able to or want to do. Maybe I'm nuts here, but I don't think I'm asking too much.

So, to recap: I do not care what your intentions were and I do not care what your excuses are. Each and every one of us is responsible for the choices we make. If you say you're going to do something, then you made the decision to commit yourself to that and if for some reason you are unable to follow through, I expect you to have enough common courtesy and respect for my feelings that you'll let me know as soon as possible. And "I don't feel like it" is not an acceptable reason for failure to keep your word. Get off your sorry butt and represent. Word.

No comments: