Sunday, December 28, 2003

Lost In Sound

Before Christmas, I'd gone shopping and ended up in Djangos looking at the used cd racks. There were so many unfamiliar album covers and band names that I didn't know where to begin. I asked if I could listen to some of them before I decided to buy anything and the guy behind the counter said I could. I started flipping through disc after disc, hoping something would grab me and become my new favorite band of the moment. Having no idea what I was in for, I selected four based purely on band name and cover art. Of the four, I only went home with one: Gravity and Henry's "Sputnik - Travelling Companion". GandH are an indie rock band consisting of two guys, Matt Sheehy and Jarhid Brown. Turns out they're local and played MusicfestNW back in August. I've had the disc in my cd player since the day after I bought it. Songs that jump out are track 1 - "trigger/response," track 5 - "lullaby song," and track 9 - "the apollo room." The only downer is that the lyrics aren't in the liner notes and I can't find them anywhere on the 'net. Bastards. They're playing at PSU in January, so maybe I can smack them around about the lyrics thing then. Anyway, go out and listen to their album. It was the best $1.99 I spent this year.

No comments: