Friday, May 31, 2002

Feeling retro

I remember the very first record, and by record I do mean vinyl, I ever bought: Purple Rain by Prince and the Revolution. It was 1984 and I was 10. In fact, I still have it on display in my room. I don't have anything to play it on anymore, so I broke down and bought it on cd about two months ago. I'm listening to it today at work and I'm becoming more and more convinced that this album is partly responsible for warping my mind. I'm curious what in the hell my parents were thinking letting me listen to this at 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, the album still rocks, but that Prince guy or the artist formerly known as or whatever he's calling himself these days was the king of not-so-subtle sexually charged lyrics in the early 80's. I know I was singing along with "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy" 18 years ago and had no idea what I was talking about or what the songs meant. I just knew that I liked the music and I could dance around the living room to them. Those songs are actually a couple of the tame ones but don't even get me started on "Darling Nikki." I think it's great that Prince was gettin' his freak on back in '84, but my 10 year old mind was not ready for that kind of input. To this day, that song creeps me out. So, yes, I blame Prince and the Revolution for my late blooming and neurotic behavior around men during my teen years. Damn you, Prince.

No comments: