Friday, October 04, 2002

Psychic, psycho, psych out... Is that Latin?

I'd love to be able to read people's minds. It'd make things so much easier. I wouldn't have to wonder who's being honest and who's telling me what they think I want to hear. But I'd want to be able to turn it on and off at will. I already have enough of my own head noise that I definitely don't need the constant barrage of other people's. I'd use my powers for good (ok, maybe a little evil, but everything in moderation, right?), but I wouldn't tell anyone I had "inside information." Ha. Anyway, here's what brought this on: In recent talks with my roomie's boyfriend Ryan, who happens to be a very good and very old friend of J., I'm hearing more often than not that Ryan doesn't believe the things J. has said about how he feels about me and that I shouldn't either. He has warned me to be on my guard and not take much of what J. says to heart, because he's got a history of telling girls what he thinks they want to hear instead of just telling them he's not interested. He's the non-confrontational type and wants to be everyone's friend. Ryan is convinced that J. is destined to be a lonely old man who never finds love because he's too busy being that guy who sits on the couch watching sports with the guys. I can't help but wonder what he thinks will happen to J. when the rest of the guys find women to settle down with and start that phase of their lives (and we're all at the age where that's starting to happen). Will a new crop of guys just magically appear to sit on the couch with him? Is he going to become the Matthew McConnaughy character in "Dazed and Confused" who goes for the high school girls because, "I keep getting older, but they stay the same age."?? Somehow, I doubt that. But I have faith in people's ability work out their baggage and envision their futures based on choices they make. Not that everyone should be in a relationship, but I can't think of a sadder way to grow old than alone. I don't need to be with someone, I simply want to be with someone. I'd like to know that when I'm 80, the person sitting in the room with me, reading their book while I read mine, is someone I'm comfortable enough with to not have to talk. That I've shared my life with someone significant and they've shared theirs with me. And I'm sure J. wants that too. It may not be with me, but I know he doesn't want to end up sitting on that couch alone.

No comments: