Sunday, June 15, 2003

Another Band To Love

On any given night you can find a good show to rock out at because Portland has so many great local bands. And I’m not just saying that because I know people in a bunch of them. Having friends in bands comes with two bonuses: 1. If you want to hang out with people you haven’t seen in awhile, you’ll likely find them at a mutual friend’s show. 2. You get exposed to all the bands that play with your friends’ bands. At last night’s show, I knew three of the four acts in the line up (two of which – Jonah and Odds Against Tomorrow – I already love and the other I hadn’t heard before and don’t care if I hear again because I wasn’t impressed) and didn’t know anything about the fourth and last band of the night, a four piece called Stereo Crush. Before they started, Shauna and I agreed we’d stay for a couple songs and if we weren’t into it, we’d bail. And then they played. And I love them. The vocals got me right away - smooth tone and sweet lyrics - and his guitar playing was just how I like it – nothing over the top or scene stealing. The drumming/bass playing was tight and had me nodding along throughout the set. I’m a sucker for keyboards/synths so, while watching the guy playing them wasn’t a highlight, I dug what he was adding to the overall sound. Plus, they covered one of my favorite early 90’s songs, INXS’ “Never Tear Us Apart,” and nailed it while the whole room sang along. Needless to say, I bought the five track cd and it’s on repeat right this second. Good times.

In other news, it’s Father’s Day and my dad is in California, probably checking my mother and himself into the hotel they’re staying at in San Francisco right now. I called and left a message for him at the front desk so he’d get it when he checked in and I’ll have to call him later since I won’t see him until the end of the month when they get back. Anyway, Happy Father’s Day Dad! Hope you’re having a great time in California!

No comments: