Saturday, June 14, 2003

Tonight, Tonight

Because I just can't get enough music in two nights out, I'm heading out again tonight for more rock at Ash St. Saloon. Odds Against Tomorrow and Jonah are playing, so even if the other two sets suck, I'll go home happy. If you want to find me, I'll be the one with the pint of amber sitting in a booth trying to look like one of the cool kids.

Speaking of cool, this guy I know, Ezra Holbrook, wrote a song called "Plain Jane" I rediscovered while going back through cds I haven't listened to in ages. Sympathy For Toys And Puppets is a kick ass album and the lyrics have always torn at my heart. Here's "Plain Jane":

i must be the only see through person in the world
people pass right through me like a ghost
i must be the only lonely person on this earth
something about my face that no one wants to know

i don't want to take your time
i don't want a scene to start
i just want to change your mind
i just want a change of heart

i know what they call me
i know what they're saying
i know what they call me
plain jane

i must be the only flower left here on the wall
while all the supermodels pass me by
i must be the victim of some tragic sort of joke
stood up before i got the chance to ask you if you'd go

like some monster movie science gone awry
i've become invisible to the human eye
someone tell me where's my consolation prize
someone tell me where's my bride of frankenstein

No comments: