Monday, June 30, 2003

Can You See Me Now?

I've been thinking about my power of invisibility again. Sometimes I have control over it and blend into the woodwork by choice but, more often than not, I go invisible and I don't even know I'm doing it until I want to be seen and no matter what I do, I just don't register on the radar. Even worse is when I do register but the radar is set to pity. I used to think it had something to do with me lacking substance, but now I'm leaning toward the theory that people are just self-centered and easily distracted. If that’s not the problem, then maybe I’m far less cool than I like to pretend I am.

The truth is people see what they choose to see. No more and no less. How I present myself is only a small part of who I am as a whole however, unless you care about me enough to see into me and dig through to the parts that I hide, you're not really seeing me at all. I get the impression that seeing is easier for some people than for others and for those folks who have it easy, it’s hard not to see. Sort of a double-edged sword if you can’t turn it off… but I prefer seeing and dealing with the ups and downs of being an empathetic creature to walking around blinded to the cool people right in front of me by distractions. So, this is the point where I wish for a distraction from the cool people because dammit, they see right through me… so maybe they aren’t as cool as they pretend to be.

Listening to: Flaming Lips "Do You Realize?"

No comments: