Friday, June 13, 2003

Out On A Weeknight? Moi?

After a last minute pros vs. cons debate with myself last night (Pros: you have a car at your disposal, the show is an early one, you get to gang out with people you like, you get to see a band you for sure like and maybe hear new ones you'll like too, you won't be hanging out at home by yourself - Cons: you have to get up early, you may be tired and grumpy at first tomorrow), the pros were obviously ahead so I went to the Green Room and caught Sophe Lux's set. There weren't very many people there, but the ones who were had a loud voice and seemed to make the room feel fuller than it was. I'm thinking that must have made it cooler for the band, but who knows. It was a totally different vibe from the last time I saw them (except for the guitar string breakage which was about the same), maybe because the venue was smaller and more intimate or maybe because they had the volume turned down, but I liked the set just as well for different reasons. I got to meet the fourth member of the band last night and aside from my appreciation for their music, I enjoyed the conversation with all four as well.

I stayed for the second band, The Garden Gnomes, and really liked them too. They had a Rufus Wainright/Beatles/surf guitar thing going on and I dug it. About two minutes into their set, Jenn and I were both feeling like we recognized the singer/guitar player, but couldn't figure out from where and it turns out he's the KJ at Chopsticks over on Burnside. Ah ha. I knew he looked familiar. I haven't been to karaoke in way too long, but I've been informed that The Boiler Room on Wednesday nights is the place to be and a date's been made to go sing our little hearts out in three weeks. Sweetness. Fo' sheezy.

Tonight? I got nothin'. So give me a reason to go out. Something to do. I'm up for almost anything....almost. Don't get any weird ideas. Yeah, I'm talkin' to you. Don't make me come over there...

No comments: