Sunday, June 29, 2003

First Things First And Then Some Other Stuff

I've finally succumbed to the lure of the fotolog so if you feel like seeing what I've seen, go ahead and click on the link to the right. I can't promise the pics will be any good since I'm still learning the ins and outs of my roommate's digicam, but I'll try to keep it regularly updated. I remember a rant from Koji about only being able to upload one photo a day and how that sucked and I agree. 'Nuff said.

So, last night I went to Mt. Tabor Pub to support Sophe Lux and King of Spain... I took the camera and got some ok shots of the action, some of which I'm sure will turn up in the fotolog in the next few days. Mt. Tabor has a reputation for being sort of a hippie/reggae venue, so the rock shows there have a hard time drawing a crowd. Last night was not an exception. Sadly, the people missed out because both bands sounded great. The Sophe Lux kids seem to have settled into their skins on stage and I don't know if it was the sound system (which is one of the better ones in town) or just having had practice during the last few weeks playing shows, but the performance was solid and they finally all seemed pleased with their set. King of Spain was next and they've changed a bit since I saw them last. I had to take off about half way through King of Spain's set to head over to Dante's for Dr. Theopolis but, from what I caught, it looks like Frank has taken over vocals almost exclusively and Ben has picked up the slack to compensate for the missing rhythm guitar that Frank used to fill. Also, and I never really noticed this before, Frank looks like a younger Viggo Mortensen if you squint your eyes a little. But I digress. It was good stuff and I was glad I caught up with Sean the bass player later to tell him I dug it. So, I headed off to see the Dr. Theopolis show and got there right on time. The boys started about five minutes after I showed up, which was just enough time to get a beer and stake out a spot near the front. The rest of the party people who had packed Dante's were in for a treat as it was Mr. Fabulous's lead vocals debut on a new song called "Danger Hump." That, my friends, was some funny shit. Dr. T never fails to deliver a kickass show and as I found out at the after-hours party back at the guys' house, they just booked some shows for July (including an invite-only Absolute Vodka party on the roof of Billy Reed's July 20th...woo!) so if you missed last night's funkfest, you'll have another chance to get out and shake dat ass real soon... fo' sho'.

In other news, I still haven't gotten my damn french toast fix. This is getting ridiculous.

No comments: